This easy Apple Spice Cake is made with whole wheat flour, apple pie spice and apple cider, and topped with a vegan buttercream frosting!
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, spooned and levelled
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup fresh-pressed sweet apple cider
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 8-inch square baking pan with overhanging parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, spices, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the milk, apple cider, oil and vanilla. Stir until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 24-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, place the softened butter in a mixing bowl. Using a stand mixer or handheld electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar a 1/4 cup at a time until the frosting is smooth and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl as needed. (You can add more powdered sugar if you like your frosting thicker and sweeter).
- Add in the apple pie spice and vanilla and beat again until incorporated.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cake. Slice and serve.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy within 3-4 days.
- For the nut milk, you can use unsweetened cashew or almond milk, another type of non-dairy milk or even dairy milk for a non-vegan cake.
- If you don’t have coconut sugar, brown sugar works as a substitute.
- You can use 1/2 cup of reduced apple cider if you prefer a more concentrated apple flavour.
- You can use store-bought or homemade apple pie spice. Just note that different apple pie spice recipes have different combinations and proportions of spices so the type of apple pie spice you use may alter the taste of the cake slightly.
- As the apple pie spice I was using had a pronounced star anise flavour, I added extra ground cinnamon to the cake. You can reduce the amount if your apple pie spice is heavy on the cinnamon.
- Be sure to check out the other sections above the recipe card for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: apple cider cake, vegan apple spice cake