Blackberry Lemon Overnight Oatmeal Muffins are made with overnight oats, whole wheat flour and almond milk, and are bursting with lemon and blackberry flavour!
- 1 cup quick cooking steel-cut oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest from half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut (medium desiccated)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup blackberries
- In a small bowl, add the oats and almond milk. Stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight to allow the oats to absorb the milk.
- Once the oats are soaked, pre-heat the oven to 425F and grease a 12-cup muffin pan. (or use cupcake liners).
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the egg and oil. Add in the lemon juice, zest and vanilla, along with the oat mixture, and stir until combined.
- In another medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda and salt. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the blackberries.
- Using a cookie scoop, add the muffin batter to the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the muffins comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter and enjoy within 2-3 days, or freeze for later enjoyment.
- You can use rolled oats or steel-cut oats, just make sure they’re quick cooking. Steel-cut oats will take longer to absorb the milk, so be sure to soak them overnight. If you’re short on time, use quick cooking rolled oats and soak for 30-60 minutes.
- Nut, seed or cow’s milk all work well in this recipe. Just keep in mind that if you use cow’s milk, these muffins will not be dairy-free.
- To make these muffins vegan, substitute a flax egg for the egg.
- Don’t over mix the batter as this may result in tough muffins or cause them to bake unevenly.
- To save yourself a few steps in the morning, prepare the lemon juice and zest the night before, and store in a container in the fridge. You can also combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, and salt), and leave covered on the counter.
Keywords: oatmeal muffins, muffins with overnight oats