These Cacao Almond Protein Bites make a perfect mid-morning or post-workout snack! They include cacao powder and almonds, as well as quinoa flakes, dates, protein powder and moringa powder. So you get a little extra fibre and protein with an added energy boost!
- 1/2 cup dates, dried or medjool
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup natural almond butter
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp moringa powder
- 1 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips
- Optional: toasted coconut and cacao powder for rolling
- In a small dish, combine the dates with the hot water, maple syrup and vanilla and let soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the date mixture (including the liquid) to a food processor and process on high until the dates are broken up (about 30 seconds).
- Next, add the almonds and almond butter and process on high until the almonds are chopped but not too fine. Add the quinoa flakes, coconut, cacao, protein powder and moringa powder, and process on high until well combined. This should only take a minute or two. It’s okay if the mixture is still a little bit chunky, but it should be a bit sticky. You may need to stop the processor a few times to scrape down the sides or break apart the mixture.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse for a few seconds. Shape the mixture into 12-14 balls, and roll in toasted coconut or cacao powder (optional).
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze for later enjoyment.
- The dates soften up in the hot water, which makes them easier to process in the food processor.
- You can substitute cocoa powder for cacao powder. Just note that the protein bites will taste sweeter.
- If you don’t have moringa powder, you can leave it out.