Chicken Fajita Soup with White Beans
Chicken Fajita Soup has all the spicy flavours of a fajita, served up in a warming bowl of soup. It’s easy and clean eating, perfect for meal prep, and loaded with extra fibre thanks to the white beans!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 bowls
- Category: Dinner; Lunch
For the fajita seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 small boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- 3 sweet long red peppers (or red bell peppers), seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 2 medium-sized yellow onions, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1 – 900 ml carton chicken broth, no-salted added
- 1 – 796 ml can diced tomatoes, no-salt added
- 1 – 540 ml can white kidney beans (or cannellini beans), no-salt added, drained and rinsed
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- In a small dish, combine all the spices for the fajita seasoning.
- Add one tablespoon of oil to an oven safe pot/pan with a lid (I used a dutch oven) and heat over medium-heat on the stove top for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken to a bowl, and coat with the remaining oil and half the fajita seasoning.
- Add the chicken to the pot/pan, and sear on each side for 4 minutes.
- Once seared, add 3-4 tablespoons of broth to the chicken, enough to cover the bottom of the pot. Cover and bake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven, and transfer chicken to a bowl, leaving juices in the pot/pan. Shred chicken with a fork and set aside.
- Add the pepper, onion and remaining fajita seasoning to the pot/pan, and sauté over medium heat on the stove top for 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, remaining broth, tomatoes and beans to the pot/pan and stir to combine. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for a few minutes, or until the soup is heated through.
- Serve immediately with garnishes of your choice, or refrigerate for later.
- Be careful not to over-cook the soup as the peppers and onions will get too soft.
- You can use regular or reduced-sodium broth, tomatoes and beans, just note that the soup will be a little more salty.
- Instead of white beans, you can use black beans or red kidney beans.
- To make this soup more like a stew, just use less broth and/or add more chicken, veggies and beans.
- This recipe was inspired by Clean Eating Magazine’s recipe for Chicken Fajita Stew.
Keywords: soup, chicken, fajita, dinner