This Chicken Fajita Soup has all the spicy flavours of chicken fajitas served up in a warming bowl of soup. It’s made in one pot and comes together in just 45 minutes!
For the fajita seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
For the soup:
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 small yellow onions, chopped
- 1 can (796 ml) no salt added diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 can (540 ml) no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (341 ml) no salt added whole kernel corn, drained
- 4 cups no salt added chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small dish, mix together the spices for the fajita seasoning.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and coat with 1/2 the seasoning mix.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a Dutch oven (or oven safe pot) over medium heat and brown the chicken. About 2-3 minutes per side. (Depending on the size of your pot, you may need to do this in two batches).
- Once browned, add 3-4 tablespoons of the broth to the chicken, enough to cover the bottom of the pot. Cover and roast in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board (leaving the juices in the pot) and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into cubes or shredding.
- Add the peppers, onions and remaining fajita seasoning to the pot and saute over medium heat until just starting to soften (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, beans, corn, remaining broth and chicken. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 5 minutes. Be careful not to over cook the soup as the peppers and onions will get too soft.
- Taste and add more salt, if necessary. Serve with desired toppings.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Since we are going from the stovetop to the oven, you’ll need an oven safe pot, like a Dutch oven, for this recipe. If you don’t have one, you can transfer the chicken to an oven safe dish to roast in the oven.
- I like to use no salt added broth, diced tomatoes, black beans and corn so I can control the amount of salt in the soup. If you use regular products, just note that the soup will be a little saltier.
- This soup is moderately spicy. If you’re not a fan of spicy food, just reduce the amount of fajita seasoning you add to the soup.
- Instead of black beans, you can use white beans, kidney beans or chickpeas.
- You can use any combination of red, green, yellow or orange bell peppers.
- To save time, buy a rotisserie chicken. Just shred and season it with half of the fajita mix before adding it to the soup.
- Be sure to check out the other sections above the recipe card for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: chicken soup, fajita soup