This rich and fudgy Chocolate Avocado Frosting is dairy-free, refined sugar-free and made with just 4 ingredients! You only need 5 minutes to whip this frosting together, and it’s the perfect texture to frost cakes, cupcakes or brownies!
- 1 large ripe avocado (or 2 small), peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2–3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Add the avocado, cocoa, maple syrup and 2 tablespoons of milk to a small blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. (You may need to stop a few times and scrape down the sides with a spatula).
- If the frosting is too thick, just add the remaining tablespoon of almond milk. (Be careful not to add too much as you don’t want the frosting to be runny).
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within 3-4 days.
- For the smoothest and creamiest results, use a high powered blender or food processor. Smaller is also better since the recipe only makes one cup of frosting. I like to use the smoothie cup that came with my blender.
- You can also use an electric mixer. You still get creamy results, but you may end up with some flecks of avocado in the frosting.
- If you decide to use a mixer, you may wish to add the cocoa in small portions and beat after each addition. This will help minimize the cocoa dust.
- The frosting is rich and chocolatey but not overly sweet. If you like sweeter frostings, you can use a little bit more maple syrup but cut back on the milk so the frosting doesn’t get runny.
- The recipe makes about one cup, which is enough to top a single layer 8 or 9 inch round or square cake. For a layer cake, you’ll want to double the recipe.
- If the frosting doesn’t seem thick enough, it will thicken a bit in the fridge. You can also blend in a little more cocoa to help thicken it.
- For a thinner frosting, just blend in more milk.
- Be sure to check out the other sections above the recipe card for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: dairy-free frosting, chocolate frosting