Chocolate Peanut Butter Nice Cream Cake is a creamy banana-based ice cream cake with chunks of chocolate peanut butter and a no-bake hazelnut crust. It’s made with just seven ingredients, and it’s grain-free and vegan!
For the chocolate peanut butter chunks:
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, vegan
- 1/4 cup chunky peanut butter, natural and unsalted
For the hazelnut crust:
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, natural and whole
- 3/4 cup dates, pitted and whole
- 3 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter, natural and unsalted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the banana ice cream filling:
- 6 large ripe bananas, chopped and frozen
- 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter, natural and unsalted
- 3 tablespoons cocoa, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the topping:
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips, vegan
- 6 tablespoons chunky peanut butter, natural and unsalted
- Optional: chopped peanuts and/or flaky sea salt
- Prepare chocolate peanut butter chunks: Line a mini loaf pan or small dish with parchment paper. Add the chocolate chips and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for two 30-second intervals, stirring well after each interval. Pour into prepared pan and place in the freezer for an hour to set.
- Prepare crust: In a food processor, add the hazelnuts, dates, peanut butter and maple syrup, and process until a crumbly mixture forms. Press into a 9-inch springform pan.
- Prepare banana ice cream filling: Using the food processor again, add the frozen banana chunks and process on high until crumbly. Add the peanut butter, cocoa and maple syrup, and process until the banana mixture is thick and creamy. It will take about five minutes or so to make the banana ice cream, and you will need to stop the food processor a few times to stir and scrape down the sides.
- Assemble nice cream cake: Once the nice cream is ready, remove the chocolate peanut butter from the freezer, chop into chunks and stir into the nice cream. Pour nice cream onto the prepared crust, smooth out the top and place in the freezer for 4-5 hours to set up.
- Prepare chocolate topping: Once the cake is set up, add the remaining chocolate chips and peanut butter to a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for two 30-second intervals, stirring well after each interval. Spread on top of cake, working fast as the chocolate will set quickly. As an optional topping, sprinkle on a few chopped peanuts and/or flaky sea salt. Place back in the freezer for a few minutes to set up. Cover and keep stored in the freezer until ready to eat. Let the cake sit at room temperature for ten minutes before serving so it is easier to cut.
- You’ll need a large capacity and powerful food processor or blender to make the banana ice cream filling. (I use a 12-cup, 1000 watt food processor). If you have a smaller capacity and/or less powerful food processor, you can make the banana ice cream filling in two batches. Just keep the first batch in the freezer while you make the second batch.
- This recipe calls for natural and unsalted chunky peanut butter. Smooth will work in the nice cream, but chunky peanut butter adds texture to the chocolate peanut butter chunks and it keeps the hazelnut crust from getting too oily.
- If you like the addition of salt with your chocolate peanut butter treats, you can use natural chunky peanut butter with salt added. Or you can add a pinch of sea salt to the chocolate peanut butter chunks and/or crust.
- For the creamiest banana ice cream, use bananas that are firm and ripe, but not overripe.
- This recipe calls for three tablespoons of cocoa, but you can add more or less depending on how chocolatey you like your nice cream.
Keywords: vegan ice cream cake, no-bake desserts