Healthy Pumpkin Bread is made with whole wheat flour, extra virgin olive oil and pure pumpkin. It’s soft and tender, with flecks of shredded coconut and studded with dark chocolate chunks.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips (divided)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, coconut, pumpkin spice, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, pumpkin purée, oil and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Don’t over mix.
- Fold in 1/4 cup of chocolate chunks.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and press the remaining chocolate chunks into the top of the batter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 20-30 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature and enjoy within 3-4 days, or freeze for later enjoyment.
- This recipe calls for a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan. If your pan is a different size, you may need to adjust the bake time slightly.
- If you don’t have almond or cashew milk, and you don’t need this bread to be vegan, you can use dairy milk.
- You can substitute brown sugar for coconut sugar.
- Make sure to press the chocolate chunks into the top of the batter. If they are just sprinkled on top, they will fall off when the bread bakes.
- If you want to change things up, add in pecans or walnuts instead of chocolate chips.
- You can turn this recipe into muffins. Just follow the instructions above and use a 12-cup muffin pan. Bake the muffins on 400F for 5 minutes, and then reduce the heat to 350F and bake for another 11-13 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Keywords: pumpkin loaf, pumpkin chocolate chip bread