Coconut Mango Muffins are full of flavour and texture with chunks of juicy mango, steel-cut oats and unsweetened coconut. They’re dairy-free and sweetened with just maple syrup and dark chocolate.
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (Dutch-processed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped mango, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chunks
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut, medium desiccated
- In a small bowl, stir together the oats and almond milk. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 5-6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425F and grease a 12-cavity muffin pan.
- Add the soaked oats to a large bowl along with the maple syrup, oil, egg and vanilla. Stir or whisk until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk or sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until combined.
- Gently fold in the mango, chocolate chunks and coconut.
- Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter into the muffin pan.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- If you’re short on time, you can use rolled oats or quick cooking oats and soak them for just 30-60 minutes.
- If you’re using frozen mango, just let it defrost first before adding it to the muffin batter. You may also need to cut it into smaller pieces if the mango is frozen in larger chunks or slices.
- Make sure your mango is cut into small pieces so there is enough to disperse throughout the muffin batter.
- While I used dairy-free dark chocolate chunks, feel free to use chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate.
- To make these muffins vegan, make sure your dark chocolate is vegan and use a flax egg as a replacement for the egg.
- Total time in the recipe card includes time for the oats to soak.
- Be sure to check out the other sections above the recipe card for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: mango oatmeal muffins