Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins are bursting with fresh cranberries, sweet orange and dark chocolate. They’re hearty, wholesome and dairy-free, and make the perfect addition to your holiday brunch or breakfast!
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks (dairy-free)
- In a small bowl, add the oats and milk. Stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 5-6 hours.
- Once the oats are soaked, preheat the oven to 425F and grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg and oil. Add in the orange juice and zest, along with the oat mixture, and stir until combined.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the cranberries and chocolate chunks.
- Using a cookie scoop, divide the muffin batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins rest in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature and enjoy within 2-3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- The total recipe time includes time for the oats to soak.
- Steel-cut oats need to soak overnight, or for at least 5-6 hours. If you’re short on time, you can use rolled oats and soak them for 30-60 minutes.
- If you don’t have unsweetened almond or cashew milk, you can use cow’s milk. (Just note that the recipe will no longer be dairy-free).
- To get 3 tablespoons of orange juice and 1 tablespoon of zest, you’ll need about half a large orange.
- If you don’t have fresh cranberries, you can use frozen or dried cranberries.
- Be sure to check out the detailed sections above the recipe card for additional advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: cranberry orange muffins, cranberry muffins