Cranberry Orange Thumbprint Cookies are perfect for your holiday cookie exchange. They’re crispy and chewy, and with an orange cranberry filling and white chocolate drizzle, these grain-free cookies are sure to be a holiday favourite!
For the orange cranberry filling:
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- Juice and zest from half an orange
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
For the thumbprint cookies:
- 1/4 + 1/4 cup cane sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons virgin, cold pressed coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the white chocolate drizzle:
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small sauce pan, stir together the cranberries, sugar, cardamom, orange juice and zest and bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally to ensure the mixture does not burn. Once the mixture starts to thicken, remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds. Cover and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add 1/4 cup cane sugar, cashew butter and coconut oil. Using an electric mixer, beat on high until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- In a small bowl, sift together the buckwheat flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. On low-speed, gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture until a dough forms. You may need to stop a few times to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup cane sugar to a small plate. Shape the dough into one-inch balls and roll in the sugar. (You should get about 15 balls). Arrange about 2-inches a part on the baking sheet and use your thumb to create a little well in the centre of each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven. If the thumb impressions have disappeared, carefully use a 1/4 teaspoon to re-shape them. Add the cranberry orange filling to each thumb impression. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on pan.
- Add the white chocolate chips and coconut oil to a small microwave safe bowl and microwave in two 30-second intervals, stirring in between intervals. Drizzle the chocolate over the cookies and place them in the fridge to set up.
- Store cookies in an airtight container in the fridge, or freeze for later enjoyment.
- Make sure the cashew butter and coconut oil are at room temperature. This will ensure they mix together smoothly with the cane sugar.
- You can change-up the filling by using any kind of homemade or store-bought jam. To keep things festive, you can even use red and green cherries.
- To make these cookies dairy-free, just omit the white chocolate drizzle or use dairy-free chips.
Keywords: Christmas cookies, cranberry cookies, grain-free cookies