This Creamy Herb Dip is ultra thick and smooth with a rich cashew base and a few basic seasonings. It’s completely dairy-free and easy to pull together for game day snacks or to serve on a vegan charcuterie board!
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- 1/2 large lemon, juiced
- 1/2 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- Add the cashews to a glass dish and cover with hot water. Let soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and add them to a blender jar along with the nut milk, lemon juice, onion, garlic powder and salt. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the oregano, basil and chives and pulse a few times until mixed through but not fully blended in.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving with veggies, crackers, pretzels or bread.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator and enjoy within 5-7 days.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of herbs, onion, garlic or salt to suit your taste.
- In order to get the flecks of herbs throughout the dip, be sure to add the dried herbs after the other ingredients have been processed together.
- If you want to use fresh herbs, triple the amount and add them to the blender at the same time as the other ingredients.
- This dip is best after it sits in the refrigerator for a few hours, which allows the flavours to blend together.
- I recommend using a high-powered food processor or blender. If your blender or food processor isn’t powerful, you’ll need to blend the mixture for a bit longer and it might not get as creamy. You might also want to soak your cashews overnight instead of just for 30 minutes.
- I like to blend this dip together in the smoothie cup that came with my blender. In my experience, it creates a creamier texture compared to a full sized blender or food processor.
- The total recipe time includes time for the cashews to soak and for the dip to chill. The actual hands on time is only 10 minutes.
- Be sure to check out the other sections above the recipe card for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: onion herb dip, cashew spread