Made with sunflower seeds, quinoa flakes, seed butter, dates and cocoa, these Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites are nut-free, chocolatey and super easy to make!
- 1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries (unsweetened or sweetened)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter (or pumpkin seed butter)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips
- In a small dish, combine the chopped dates with the hot water and vanilla and let soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the date mixture (including the liquid) to a food processor, along with all the other ingredients, except the chocolate chips. Process on high until well combined but with some chunks of seeds and cherries remaining. This should only take a minute or two. You may need to stop the processor a few times to scrape down the sides or break apart the mixture. Add the chocolate chips and pulse for a few seconds. Roll the mixture into 12-14 balls. You can eat them right away or place them in the fridge to firm up a bit!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze for later enjoyment.
- The dates soften up in the hot water, which makes them easier to process in the food processor.
- The energy bite mixture will be sticky, so you may need to rinse your hands with warm water a few times while rolling them.
Keywords: chocolate, cherry, energy bites, healthy snack