Baked French Toast Casserole with Cherries is a decadent dairy-free brunch dish with layers of sourdough bread, eggs, fresh cherries, almonds and chocolate chips. You only need 8 ingredients, and it’s prepped in advance for an easy morning meal!
- 1 loaf sourdough bread, day old and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup raw slivered almonds
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the bread into roughly 1-inch cubes (it doesn’t need to be exact). Arrange half of the cubes in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer on half of the cherries, chocolate chips and almonds.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, 1/4 cup coconut sugar and almond extract. Pour half of the mixture over the bread, making sure to cover all the cubes.
- Layer on the remaining bread, cherries, almonds and chocolate chips, and pour on the remaining egg mixture. Again, make sure all the bread is covered.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar over the top of the bread.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 5-6 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until the topping is browned and crispy.
- If you don’t have time to let the casserole sit overnight, just let it rest for about 20 minutes before baking. You’ll also need to reduce the back time to about 45 minutes.
- Be sure to check out the FAQ as well as the tips and substitutions section above the recipe for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: cherry french toast, french toast bake, overnight french toast