Easy Bone Broth French Onion Soup is made with bone broth beef protein powder, lots of onions, garlic and herbs, and topped with everything bagel seasoned croutons and gruyère cheese.
For the everything bagel seasoned croutons:
- 3 thick slices multi-grain bread, stale and cut into large cubes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp everything bagel spice
For the French onion soup:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 medium-sized onions, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and pressed
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup bone broth beef protein powder (see note)
- 6 cups hot water
- 8 sprigs of thyme, fresh
- 5 bay leaves, fresh
- 2 tsp parsley, dried
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Everything bagel seasoned croutons
- Finely grated gruyère cheese
To make the croutons:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the cubed bread and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle on the nutritional yeast and everything bagel spice. Mix with your hands until the cubes are well coated. Don’t over-mix as the bread may start to crumble.
- Spread the croutons out in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping the croutons after 10 minutes. They should be browned and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet. Store in an airtight container on the counter.
To make the soup:
- Add the oil to a large pot (I like to use my cast iron pot) and heat on low for a few minutes. Add the onions and garlic. Cover and let cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the onions and garlic cook evenly and do not burn.
- After 30 minutes, stir in the coconut sugar and let cook for another 30 minutes. Stir more frequently to prevent burning. You will know the onions are ready when they have softened, browned and caramelized.
- In a large bowl, combine the bone broth powder with the hot water and whisk together until the powder is dissolved. Add the broth to the pot of onions. Add in the thyme, bay leaves, parsley and salt. Stir and let simmer for 40 minutes. Once cooked, carefully remove the sprigs of thyme and bay leaves.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange 4-6 oven safe bowls on the sheet. Spoon the soup into the bowls, top with croutons or toasted bread, and grated gruyère cheese. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the soup is bubbling.
- If you don’t have powdered bone broth, just use 6 cups of no-salt added beef broth instead of the 1/2 cup of bone broth powder and 6 cups of hot water. You can also use veggie broth for a vegetarian option.
- Instead of the homemade everything bagel seasoned croutons, you can use store-bought croutons or toasted bread, just make sure they are large croutons or thick cut toast.
Keywords: soup, onions, bone broth, dinner