Easy Chocolate Sheet Cake is a simple vegan chocolate cake recipe that’s made without eggs, butter or milk. You need just a few basic pantry ingredients to make this rich and delicious chocolate dessert!
For the cake:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups water, room temperature
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the coconut whip:
- 2 cans (400 ml) full fat coconut milk, refrigerated (see note)
- 3 tablespoons natural smooth peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Crushed peanuts
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13 inch cake pan and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. (Sift if your cocoa is lumpy).
- Add in the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla and whisk until the dry ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and gently tap the bottom of the pan off a hard surface to release any bubbles in the batter.
- Bake for 25-27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cake cool slightly. Use the edges of the parchment paper to carefully lift the cake out of the pan and onto a wire rack to cool completely. (You can also let the cake cool completely in the pan and frost it in the pan).
- To make the frosting, scoop out the solidified coconut milk into a deep mixing bowl (discard or reserve the coconut water for another recipe).
- Using an electric mixer, beat the coconut milk on high for about a minute. Scrape down the sides and add the peanut butter and maple syrup. Mix on high for a few minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy. Be careful not to over mix as the coconut cream may start to separate.
- Spread the frosting onto the cooled cake and decorate with sprinkles or crushed peanuts.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- The coconut milk needs to be refrigerated overnight or preferably for 24 hours to allow the coconut milk solids to separate and solidify.
- This cake can be made using all-purpose white flour in place of whole wheat. Just add another 3-5 minutes to the baking time.
- If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, you can use white vinegar.
- Both natural cocoa and dutch-processed work in this recipe.
- Be sure to check out the FAQ as well as the tips and substitutions section above the recipe for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: simple vegan chocolate cake, vegan chocolate sheet cake