Grapefruit Cake with Pistachios is a one-bowl quick bread with a mild citrusy flavour and crunchy pistachios. It’s dairy-free and vegan, and made with wholesome ingredients, so you can even enjoy a slice or two for breakfast!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened nut milk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red or pink grapefruit, juiced and zested
- 1/2 cup raw whole pistachios
- 1 tablespoon crushed raw pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add in the milk, oil and grapefruit juice and zest. Stir until the dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- Fold in the 1/2 cup of whole pistachios.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle the crushed pistachios on top.
- Bake for about 48-52 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature and enjoy within 4-5 days.
- This cake was baked in a loaf pan measuring 8.5″ x 4.5″. If your loaf pan is a little bigger, you may need to reduce the bake time by a few minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick
- Make sure you zest the grapefruit first before you cut and juice it. Once juiced, it’s more difficult to zest the rind of a grapefruit.
- Be sure to read the Tips and Substitutions section above for more detailed advice and suggestions for variations on the recipe.
Keywords: pistachio cake, grapefruit bread, grapefruit loaf cake