Instant Pot Egg Strata is an easy make ahead casserole with eggs, whole grain bread, spinach, ham and brie. You need just 8 ingredients and 10 minutes prep time. It’s a great way to use up holiday leftovers and works well for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- 5 cups cubed whole grain bread (stale)
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 cup fresh spinach, packed and then chopped
- 1/2 cup torn/sliced brie cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Grease a 7-inch round glass dish, or a similar size that fits in a 6-quart Instant Pot.
- In a large bowl, add the bread, ham, spinach and brie. Toss to combine.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, basil, salt and pepper.
- Add the bread mixture to the prepared glass dish and pour the eggs over the bread, making sure to soak all the pieces. Some of the bread will not be submerged in the egg mixture but that’s okay.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for a few hours. This will give the bread time to absorb the egg.
- When ready to cook, place a trivet or steamer rack on the bottom of the Instant Pot insert and add 1 1/2 cups of water to the insert. Place the strata on top of the trivet/rack and lay a piece of foil loosely on top of the strata.
- Lock the lid in place and turn the valve to seal. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 20 minutes. (Note that it will take about 8-10 minutes for pressure to build).
- Once the timer goes off, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Unlock the lid, carefully remove the foil and then lift the strata out of the Instant Pot using oven mitts. (It will be hot).
- Place the strata in the oven and broil for 3-4 minutes, or until the top is browned and crispy. Let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 2-3 days.
- If you don’t have ham, leftover turkey works well and pairs nicely with the brie cheese.
- If you don’t have brie, you can use mozzarella or cheddar cheese, or another cheese that melts well.
- The recipe calls for whole grain bread, but you can use whatever kind you like. Just make sure it’s stale, or at least a day old.
- A 6-quart Instant Pot was used for this recipe.
- I used a glass casserole dish that was 7 inches in diameter and 3 1/4 inches high. This size fits nicely in a 6-quart Instant Pot.
- If you’re pressed for time, you can prepare the strata and cook it in the Instant Pot right away.
- I highly recommend broiling the strata in the oven for a few minutes to get the top browned and crispy.
Keywords: egg casserole, breakfast casserole, ham and egg strata