Kale Caesar Salad with Shrimp and Garlic Lime Tahini Dressing is loaded with kale, shrimp, coconut bacon, everything bagel croutons and a homemade garlic lime tahini dressing. It makes a great side salad or meal on its own, and it’s dairy-free with a grain-free option included.
For the everything bagel croutons:
- 3 thick slices multi-grain bread, stale and cubed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp everything bagel spice
For the coconut bacon:
- 3/4 cup coconut slices
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp reduced-sodium tamari
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp avocado oil
- Pinch of ground black pepper
For the garlic lime tahini dressing:
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup warm water
For the salad:
- 4–5 cups kale, packed, stems removed and torn
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups everything bagel croutons
- 1 cup cooked shrimp
- 3/4 cup coconut bacon
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup garlic lime tahini dressing
- To make the croutons: Pre-heat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium-sized bowl, add the cubed bread and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle on the nutritional yeast and everything bagel spice. Mix with your hands until the cubes are well coated. Don’t over-mix as the bread may start to crumble. Spread the croutons out in a single layer on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping the croutons after 10 minutes. They should be browned and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet. You should get about 2 cups of croutons.
- To make the coconut bacon: Pre-heat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, add the coconut, maple syrup, tamari, paprika, oil and pepper. Stir until coconut is well coated. Spread out in a single layer on baking sheet, and bake for 7-10 minutes. Keep an eye on it as it may start to burn quickly. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on baking sheet. It will get crunchy as it cools.
- To make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, garlic, lime juice and zest, salt and pepper. Drizzle in the water and whisk until smooth. The recipe makes about 1/2 cup of dressing.
- To assemble the salad: Add the kale to a large bowl and drizzle on the oil. Massage for a few minutes until the volume of kale starts to reduce in size. Add the croutons, shrimp, coconut bacon and nutritional yeast. Pour on the dressing and toss the ingredients until well coated. Serve immediately.
- To make this recipe grain-free, substitute roasted chick peas for croutons.
- To make it vegan, just leave out the shrimp and ensure the tamari you use in the coconut bacon is vegan.
- If making this salad in advance, prepare and store all of your ingredients separately, and assemble when ready to eat.
- The recipe for the garlic lime tahini dressing is adapted from All the Verdue.
- The recipe for the coconut bacon is adapted from Clean Eating Magazine’s recipe for Sweet and Salty Coconut Bacon.
Keywords: salad, kale, shrimp, dinner