Salad with Roasted Vegetables and Halloumi Cheese is a flavourful one-pan meal from The Ultimate One-Pan Oven Cookbook. It’s loaded with spinach, roasted tomatoes, eggplant, red pepper, onion and garlic! It’s also served with a side of halloumi cheese and parsley pesto for added taste and texture!
For the salad:
- 3 Roma tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 2 small eggplants, cut into thick slices
- 1 large red pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1 head garlic, peeled and separated into cloves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 – 235 g pack of halloumi cheese, cut into 6–8 slices
- 4 cups spinach (or mix of greens)
For the pesto:
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped and stems mostly removed
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Juice from half a lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the tomatoes, eggplants, red pepper, red onion and garlic on the baking sheet and brush with the extra virgin olive oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes. (Bake for 5-10 minutes longer if you prefer your veggies less firm).
- Once the vegetables are roasted, carefully move them around on the pan to make room for the halloumi slices. Return to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes and then turn on broil for 2-3 minutes. Keep an eye on the veggies and halloumi as they will burn quickly under the broiler. (See note on cooking halloumi).
- While the vegetables are roasting, make the pesto. Add all the ingredients to a small processor and process on high until just combined. This will create a chunky pesto. If you like your pesto smoother, blend a little longer.
- Once the vegetables and halloumi are cooked, remove from the oven. Carefully slice the tomatoes and pepper lengthwise.
- Add the spinach (or greens) to two bowls or plates, and divide the roasted vegetables amongst the two plates. Add on a few slices of halloumi and serve with pesto.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy within 2-3 days.
If you don’t have enough room on your sheet pan or want your halloumi cheese extra crispy, you can fry it in a frying pan. Just cook on medium heat until both sides of the cheese slices are browned and crispy (about 5-6 minutes).
Keywords: salad, roasted vegetables, dinner, one pan meals