Green Pea Soup is packed with sweet green peas and spinach, and spiced up with jalapeños and cumin. It’s gluten-free and vegan, and ultra creamy without any dairy. It also comes together quickly in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach, packed
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 large leek, root and top removed, chopped and cleaned
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups no salt added vegetable broth
- 1 bag (750 grams) no-salt added frozen sweet green peas (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 3–4 sprigs of fresh thyme
Instant Pot method:
- Add the oil, spinach, garlic, leek, jalapeño, salt, pepper and cumin to the Instant Pot and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure the garlic doesn’t burn. Add the broth, peas and thyme, and stir together.
- Lock the lid in place, seal the valve and set to pressure cook on high for 3 minutes. (It will take about 10 minutes for pressure to build).
- When the timer goes off, quick release the pressure. Remove the sprigs of thyme and purée using a handheld or stand blender.
- Add the oil, spinach, garlic, leek, jalapeño, salt, pepper and cumin to a large pot and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the broth, peas and thyme. Stir together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure it doesn’t burn on the pot.
- Remove the sprigs of thyme and purée using a handheld or stand blender.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 3-4 days, or freeze for later enjoyment.
- This soup calls for no salt added vegetable broth. You can also use chicken broth if you don’t need this soup to be vegetarian or vegan. If you use broth with salt added, just reduce the amount of salt you add to the recipe.
- The soup isn’t overly salty or spicy. If you like it a little spicier, try adding a full jalapeño or add the jalapeño with the seeds. Once it’s puréed, you can also add more salt, pepper and/or cumin to taste.
- You can purée this soup using a handheld immersion blender or stand blender. If it’s a stand blender, make sure it’s heat proof, or let the soup cool before blending. You may also need to purée the soup in batches.
Keywords: sweet pea soup, spicy pea soup, green pea vegan soup