Spicy Tofu Scramble Breakfast Tacos are vegan and gluten-free, made with spicy scrambled tofu, nutritional yeast, peppers and onions. They’re easy to make and perfect to prep for any meal of the day!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package (350 grams) extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium-sized red onion, peeled and chopped
- 8 corn tortillas
- Topping options:
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Lime juice
- Avocado slices
- Chopped cilantro
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with a few layers of paper towels. Drain the package of tofu and lay the tofu on the paper towels. Layer some more paper towels on top of the tofu, and then place something heavy on top, like a cast iron skillet and/or heavy cans. Press the tofu for 30 minutes and then cut into slices.
- Add the oil to a skillet and pre-heat over medium heat. Add the tofu slices, and as it starts to cook, use a spatula or wooden spoon to break it apart to scramble it.
- In a small bowl, mix together the nutritional yeast, spices and salt. Add to the skillet and stir until the tofu is well coated. Let it cook for about 8-10 minutes, stirring a few times so it doesn’t burn on, but not over stirring.
- Stir in the onion and peppers and cook until tender, or about 5 minutes.
- As the scramble is cooking, warm your corn tortillas in the oven, microwave or on the stove top.
- Fill up the tortillas with the scramble, add desired toppings and enjoy!
- If you like your scramble a little softer, you can use firm or extra firm tofu that hasn’t been pressed. You can also add a splash of liquid to the scramble as it is cooking.
- To keep these tofu tacos gluten-free, make sure the tortillas and spices you use are gluten-free.
- This tofu scramble is medium spicy. If you like things spicier, add more cayenne pepper or jalapeño peppers. If you’re not a fan of spice, just use a little less than the recipe calls for.
- You can warm your tortillas however you like. I like to heat mine in a cast iron skillet with a drizzle of oil. I cook them on each side until they blister, and then keep them wrapped in a towel until ready to serve.
- The nutritional information below is based on the ingredients for the tofu scramble and tortillas. The nutritional content will change depending on the additional toppings you choose.
Keywords: tofu tacos, tofu scramble