This Strawberry Kale Salad is filled with juicy strawberries, hearty kale, creamy avocado and topped with an easy poppyseed dressing. It works as a simple side salad or add a protein to make it an entrée!
For the salad:
- 8–9 cups torn or chopped kale, packed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh chopped strawberries
- 1/2 large avocado, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup almond slices or slivers
For the poppyseed dressing:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- Prepare the kale: Remove the stems and ribs from the kale leaves and chop or tear the kale into bite-sized pieces. Add the kale to a large bowl with a sprinkle of salt and use your fingertips to massage the kale until it softens and starts to shrink in size.
- Make the dressing: Add the oil, honey, vinegar, red onion and salt to a blender and blend on high until smooth. Stir in the poppyseeds.
- Assemble the salad: Top the kale with strawberries, avocado, red onion and almonds. Toss with dressing and serve.
- The more you massage the kale, the more tender it will get. If you like it extra tender, you can massage it with a little oil or lemon juice along with the salt. You can even mix it with some of the salad dressing and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before adding the other ingredients.
- Curly kale or tuscan kale work in this recipe, but I would avoid using baby kale as the leaves are too small and tender.
- The dressing calls for extra virgin olive oil but you can use olive oil or a more neutral oil.
- If you don’t have white wine vinegar, you can use red wine vinegar instead.
- Since the dressing includes fresh onion, it should be stored in the fridge. It will separate and may solidify on top. Just let it rest at room temperature for a few minutes and then stir or shake it to mix it all together.
- I like to use a blender for the salad dressing as it emulsifies the ingredients and blends in the onion. If you don’t have a blender, you can whisk together the honey, vinegar and salt and slowly whisk in the oil. Finely chop or grate the onion and stir it in with the poppyseeds.
- Be sure to check out the other sections above the recipe card for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
The recipe for the poppyseed dressing was adapted from The Kitchn.
Keywords: strawberry salad, poppyseed dressing, kale salad