Sweet Potato Cake with Chocolate Coconut Frosting is ultra soft and tender, spiced with cinnamon and topped with a creamy, dairy-free coconut whip.
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsweetened nut milk
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (about 1 medium potato)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the coconut whip:
- 2 cans (400 ml) full fat coconut milk, refrigerated (see note)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add in the milk, sweet potato and oil, and stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 24-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cake cool slightly. Use the edges of the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan and onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Scoop out the solidified coconut milk into a deep mixing bowl (discard or reserve the coconut water for another recipe). Using an electric mixer, beat the coconut milk on high for about a minute. Scrape down the sides and add the maple syrup and cocoa. Mix on high for a few minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy. Spread the frosting onto the cooled cake.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 1-2 days.
- Total recipe time includes time to cook the sweet potato and for the cake to cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting, the coconut milk needs to be refrigerated overnight or preferably for 24 hours to allow the coconut milk solids to separate and solidify. If you’re not sure if they are fully solidified, you can pop the cans in the freezer for a few minutes but be careful they don’t freeze.
- Be sure to read the Tips and Substitutions section above for more detailed tips and suggestions for variations on the recipe.
Keywords: vegan snack cake, sweet potato snack cake