Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers are meal-prep friendly and loaded with quinoa, bulgur, black beans and marinara sauce. Pair one with a side salad for an easy weeknight dinner, or make ahead for busy weekday lunches!
- 7 medium-sized bell peppers
- 3 cups cooked quinoa and bulgur blend
- 2 + 1/2 cups marinara or pasta sauce, divided (see note)
- 1–540 ml can of black beans, no-salt added, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and grease a 10″ cast iron pan, or similar sized casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the quinoa and bulgur blend, black beans and 2 cups of marinara sauce. Set aside.
- Slice the tops off the bell peppers and scoop out the seeds and membranes. Discard the tops or reserve for another use. Rinse the peppers in water and use a towel to pat dry.
- Using a spoon, scoop the quinoa/bulgur/black bean mixture into the cavities of each of the peppers and arrange them in the pan or casserole dish so they are packed together and holding each other up.
- Divide the remaining 1/2 cup of marinara sauce on top of each stuffed pepper and top with grated cheese. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the peppers have softened and the cheese has melted. Be careful not to over bake as the peppers will get mushy.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy within 3-4 days.
I used a homemade Tomato Basil Marinara Sauce in this recipe, but it takes about an hour to make from start to finish. So if you’re short on time, you can use store-bought marinara or pasta sauce. You can also use store-bought tomato sauce, but if it is unseasoned, you will want to add some garlic, oregano and basil for added flavor.
Keywords: dinner, peppers, vegetarian, clean eating