Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffins are soft and fluffy with pumpkin spice, peanut butter and dark chocolate chips. They’re easy to make and dairy-free with a vegan option included in the recipe!
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (vegan)
- Preheat oven to 425F and grease a 12-cup muffin pan (or line it with muffin liners).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, pumpkin spice, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, banana, almond milk, peanut butter, coconut sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide the batter into the muffin pan. Each cup should be almost filled to the top.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 4-5 days.
- Make sure you’re using pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling, which is already sweetened and flavoured with spices.
- Measure your flour by using the spoon and level method.
- Warmer ingredients incorporate together better so I usually bring my almond milk, peanut butter and egg to room temperature before baking.
- To make vegan muffins, substitute a flax egg for the egg and make sure you’re using vegan chocolate chips.
- If you don’t need these muffins to be dairy-free, you can substitute dairy milk for the almond milk.
- The coconut sugar can be replaced with brown sugar.
- Be sure to check out the other sections above the recipe card for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: pumpkin banana muffins, healthy pumpkin muffins