Air Fryer Potato Cakes are a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes! They get crispy with just a little oil and stay light and fluffy in the middle.
- 3 cups (600g) cold mashed potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (70g) all purpose white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives (plus more for garnish)
- Oil (to spray or brush on patties)
- In a large bowl, add the mashed potatoes, eggs, flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Mix to combine. If your potatoes are extra thick, you may need to use a potato masher.
- Stir in the chopped chives.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup or cookie scoop to portion out the mixture for the patties.
- Gently shape into 10 patties that are 1/2-inch thick.
- Grease your air fryer basket with spray oil and arrange the patties in a single layer. (Depending on the size of your air fryer, you’ll need to air fry the patties in 2-3 batches).
- Spray or brush the tops with oil.
- Air fry at 400F for 8-9 minutes. Carefully flip the potato cakes over and spray or brush more oil on the other sides. Continue air frying for another 6-7 minutes, or until the tops are browned and crispy.
- This recipe only calls for a small amount of seasoning as mashed potatoes are usually already seasoned. If your mashed potatoes are not seasoned, you’ll want to add more salt and pepper to the recipe.
- If your mashed potatoes are wet, you’ll need to add a little more flour to help the patties bind together.
- The potato cakes mixture will be sticky, so you may need to rinse your hands a few times while shaping them.
- For even cooking, these potato cakes should be air fried in a single layer. The recipe makes 10, so you’ll need to air fry in at least two batches.
- The cook time in the recipe is based on two batches.
- I used a Cosori 5.8 quart air fryer for this recipe. If you have a different size, brand or model, you may need to adjust the air frying time and temperature slightly.
- Be sure to check out the other sections above the recipe card for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: potato cakes, patties, pancakes, air fryer