Healthy Date Squares are a wholesome twist on traditional Newfoundland date squares with oats, quinoa flakes and sweet dates. They’re vegan and gluten-free, and go perfectly with an afternoon cup of tea!
For the filling:
- 2 1/2 cups whole pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups water
For the crumb base and topping:
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa flakes
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup natural almond butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, virgin, cold pressed
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square pan and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- Add the dates and water to a medium-sized sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 7-8 minutes, or until the dates have softened. Towards the end of the cook time, start mashing the dates with a fork which helps absorb any remaining liquid. Cover and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, quinoa flakes, almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, add the almond butter, maple syrup and coconut oil and microwave on two 30-second intervals, stirring in between and after until smooth.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir until wet and crumbly.
- Press a little over half of the crumble mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spread on the warm date filling.
- Sprinkle on the remaining crumble mixture and press it lightly into the date filling.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using the edges of the parchment paper, lift the date squares out of the pan and cut into 16 pieces.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days, or in the refrigerator for 6-7 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- You can substitute the quinoa flakes for more rolled oats. Since the oat flakes are larger, use 1 cup of oats to replace the 1 1/2 cups of quinoa flakes.
- For a thicker date square, use an 8-inch square pan and bake for an extra few minutes.
- Be sure to check out the FAQ as well as the tips and substitutions section above the recipe for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: vegan date squares, gluten-free date squares, date crumbles, matrimonial bars