Orange Spice Cake is filled with warming fall spices and flecks of orange zest, all topped with a thick layer of orange cream cheese frosting!
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, spooned and levelled
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted if lumpy
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9-inch round pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, spices, baking soda and salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the milk, orange juice, oil, zest and vanilla. Stir until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, add the cream cheese and butter to a mixing bowl, and use an electric mixer to cream together until smooth.
- Mix in the orange juice and zest, then gradually add the powdered sugar until the frosting reaches your desired thickness and sweetness.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cake and store in the fridge until ready to slice and serve.
- I used Earth’s Own vegan cream cheese style spread and Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks. (Not sponsored, just prefer the texture of both of these products for vegan frostings).
- For the best frosting consistency, bring the vegan butter to room temperature but keep the vegan cream cheese cold.
- If you don’t need this cake to be vegan, you can use regular cream cheese and butter (both brought to room temperature).
- To get enough freshly squeezed orange juice and zest for the cake and frosting, you’ll need 2-3 large oranges.
- If you like your cream cheese frosting sweeter and thicker, feel free to add more powdered sugar.
- Be sure to check out the other sections above the recipe card for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: spice cake, vegan spice cake