Spring Salad with Asparagus and Peas is made with fresh and crisp spring vegetables and tossed with a fragrant lemon thyme vinaigrette. It’s the perfect side dish for a springtime brunch or lunch, or you can add your choice of protein and make it a meal!
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 small lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 16 spears fresh asparagus, ends trimmed and halved
- 2 cups fresh peas
- 5 cups spring mix, packed
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup cilantro, packed and stems mostly removed
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Prepare the vinaigrette: Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until emulsified.
- Blanch the asparagus and peas: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with cold water and lots of ice. Add the asparagus and peas to the boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until they start to get tender. Drain and quickly plunge into the ice bath. When the asparagus and peas have fully cooled, drain the water and gently pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl or on 6 small plates, add the spring mix, radishes, cilantro, almonds and goat cheese. Top with the asparagus and peas. Drizzle on the vinaigrette and serve.
- If you can’t find fresh peas, you can use frozen and cook them for the same amount of time as you would for fresh.
- The recipe calls for spring mix but you can use spinach, arugula or other leafy, tender greens.
- You can substitute dried thyme for fresh thyme in the vinaigrette, just reduce the amount to 1 teaspoon.
- The vinaigrette will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Just give it a shake or stir before using it as it may solidify slightly.
- Be sure to check out the other sections above the recipe card for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
This recipe was adapted from Cooking Light’s recipe for Spring Salad with Herbed Goat Cheese.
Keywords: asparagus salad, asparagus and pea salad