Walnut Banana Bread with Molasses is tender and soft with sweet banana, fancy molasses and warming cinnamon, all topped with a crunchy walnut streusel. You’ll want a thick slice to enjoy with your next cup of tea or coffee!
For the streusel topping:
- 1/2 cup raw walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup flour (whole wheat or white)
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons virgin, cold pressed coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
For the bread:
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large overripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup raw walnut pieces
Prepare the streusel topping:
- Add all the streusel ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and use your hands to mix together until well combined. The mixture will be wet, sticky and clumpy.
Prepare the bread:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and line it with overhanging parchment paper.
- Combine the almond milk and vinegar in a small bowl and let it sour while you start making the bread.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar. Add in the molasses, and then the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the soured milk, vanilla and mashed banana.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spoon the streusel evenly over top of the bread.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the bread comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Keep stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- The recipe makes a lot of batter so make sure you use a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Anything smaller and the batter will overflow when baking.
- This recipe is made with fancy molasses. It hasn’t been tested with blackstrap or cooking molasses.
- Ensure your bananas are mashed well so you don’t get any lumps of banana in your bread.
- Be careful not to over bake the bread as the walnut streusel topping may start to burn.
- If you’re pressed for time, or prefer this banana bread without the streusel topping, you can just leave it off. The baking time will remain the same.
- Be sure to check out the detailed sections above the recipe card for additional advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
This recipe is adapted from Crosby’s Whole Wheat Molasses Banana Bread recipe.
Keywords: molasses banana bread, banana bread with walnuts