With a smooth and creamy cashew base, this Dairy-Free Seafood Chowder is sure to satisfy your seafood chowder craving! It has chunks of potatoes, carrots and celery, along with a generous amount of scallops, salmon and shrimp, which all sit in a thick and savoury broth. One bowl makes a filling meal!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1–1/2 cups baby potatoes, halved
- 4 cups no-salt added chicken broth
- 4 fresh bay leaves (or 8 dried bay leaves)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 + 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups chopped/cubed salmon, uncooked
- 2 cups shrimp, uncooked, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1 cup scallops, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a glass jar or dish, add the cashews and hot water. Cover and let soak for 30 minutes. (Use this time to prep the other ingredients).
- In a medium-sized pot or dutch oven, heat up one tablespoon of oil on medium-heat and add the garlic and onion. Reduce heat and sauté on low for 8-10 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and sauté for 5 minutes. Lastly, add the potatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes. During this process, stir the veggies frequently so they don’t burn onto the bottom of the pot.
- Add the broth, bay leaves, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and stir to combine. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let veggies cook for 10 minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare the seafood. In a frying pan or cast iron skillet, heat up the remaining tablespoon of oil on medium-heat. Add in the salmon, shrimp and scallops and sprinkle on the smoked paprika, garlic powder and remaining salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the seafood is cooked through.
- While the seafood is cooking, add the cashews and water to a blender, and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Once the veggies have cooked for 10 minutes, pour the cashew cream into the pot and stir until combined. Add in the cooked seafood and stir to combine. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately, or store in an airtight glass dish in the fridge and enjoy within 3 days.
- This recipe calls for no-salt added chicken broth. If you use regular or reduced-sodium broth, consider reducing the amount of salt you add to the recipe.
Keywords: chowder, seafood, dairy-free, dinner