Spelt Banana Muffins are soft and fluffy with sweet banana flavour, wholesome spelt flour and a hint of peanut butter. They’re dairy-free and naturally sweetened with maple syrup, with the option to add mini chocolate chips!
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 4 medium-sized overly ripe bananas)
- 1/3 cup natural smooth peanut butter, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 1 large egg (or flax egg for vegan option)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free mini dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F and grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, peanut butter and maple syrup.
- Whisk in the nut milk, and then the egg and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt, and stir until just combined.
- Fold in most of the chocolate chips (if using), reserving some for the tops of the muffins.
- Evenly divide the batter into the muffin pan. Each cup should be almost filled to the top.
- Top the batter with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- You’ll want to use very ripe bananas with plenty of brown spots. They’re easy to mash and have a sweeter taste.
- Make sure your peanut butter is soft and even a little runny so it mixes easily into the other wet ingredients. If it has hardened in the refrigerator, just let it sit at room temperature or heat it in the microwave until it has a spreadable consistency.
- The chocolate chips are optional. Enjoy the muffins without them or add in some chopped peanuts or walnuts instead.
- You’ll need to fill the muffin cups almost to the top in order to get the high muffin tops. Grease the muffin pan well for easy release.
- Be sure to check out the other sections above the recipe card for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: spelt flour muffins, dairy-free banana muffins