Whether it’s for breakfast or breakfast for supper, you need these simple and filling Spicy Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls in your life!
Seriously, savoury breakfast bowls are totally changing up my morning routine!
Prior to a few weeks ago, I enjoyed the occasional savoury breakfast. Breakfast sandwiches and skillets, prepped ahead of time, are totally awesome.
But rarely did I crave a savoury breakfast in the wee hours of the morning. A savoury brunch at 11am? No problem. But at 7am? I much prefer something sweet and fruity. We’re talking smoothie parfaits, chia jams (with peanut butter, of course) and french toast bakes.
But that has all changed since I started making these Spicy Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls. Loaded with spices and garlicky flavour, these bowls have been on repeat in my house lately.
And if you’re into breakfast for supper, these bowls are for you! Super filling, and a great way to get in your fibre and protein. You won’t even notice they’re vegetarian! 🙂
There’s no strict recipe for these bowls, but they break down like this:
- Diced sweet potatoes (okay, this one is pretty obvious).
- A mix of garlic and spices (because spices are life….hello smoked paprika and cumin!)
- Lentils. Super filling plant-based protein. I prefer green, but you can definitely do red. (I also threw in some brown rice that was leftover in my fridge).
- Scrambled eggs. Because every savoury breakfast bowl needs scrambled eggs. (You can totally add a fried egg, but they’re just not my thing).
- Spinach. You gotta get those greens in where you can.
- Tomatoes, avocado, feta cheese, basil, or whatever toppings you like.
These bowls take about half an hour from start to finish, so I totally understand if you’re not into getting up early to prepare breakfast. Some days I prefer to stay in bed too! So for those mornings, these Spicy Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls can be easily made ahead and re-heated when ready to eat. You can even bring it to work for lunch! 😉
If you make this recipe, be sure to let me know what you think in the comments below! Or take a pic and share it on Instagram by tagging @crumbtopbaking!Print
Spicy Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls
Whether it’s for breakfast or breakfast for supper, you need these Spicy Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls in your life! Garlicky and spicy, these vegetarian bowls are packed with lentils, spinach, eggs and sweet potato, and help you get your fill of fibre and protein!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 bowls
- Category: Breakfast; Dinner
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp of ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp chives, chopped
- 4 cups spinach, fresh
- 1 cup lentils, cooked
- Optional: additional salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- Optional: tomato, avocado, feta and basil as toppings
- For the sweet potatoes: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium-sized bowl, add the cubed sweet potato and drizzle with oil. In a small bowl, combine the oregano, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Coat the potatoes with the spice mixture, spread out on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tender.
- For the eggs: Pre-heat frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, chives and a dash of salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Add to frying pan and cook on medium heat by gently folding over the eggs a few times until cooked and scrambled. This should only take a minute or two.
- For the lentils and spinach mixture: Cook lentils according to package directions. Pre-heat a frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the spinach and cooked lentils, and add a dash of salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Cook on low heat until the spinach is sautéed. This should only take a few minutes.
- Assemble the breakfast bowls: Divide the lentil and spinach mixture into two separate bowls. Layer on the sweet potatoes and scrambled eggs. Add the optional toppings and serve.
- These bowls can be made ahead and warmed in the microwave before serving. Just reserve any optional toppings and add when ready to eat.
- If you’re not a fan of lentils, or want to mix it up, you can also add some cooked quinoa or brown rice.
Keywords: sweet potato, breakfast, clean eating