Serving up another spicy recipe today with this Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup!
What can I say? The heat from the peppers and spices is keeping me warm this winter! 😉
And while spring is just a month away, I’m still in cozy soup mode. Anyone else? There’s just something about a warm bowl of soup on a cold night that is just so filling and comforting.
Soup also makes awesome meal prep, and when you add an Instant Pot to the mix, you’ve got yourself a quick and easy weekday meal.
This Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup is the second Instant Pot recipe I’m sharing on the blog.
I know, only two! I’ve had my Instant Pot for a few months now, and I’ve been testing a lot of recipes. While I still prefer my slow cooker for some recipes, I love making soup in the Instant Pot. It’s just so quick and easy, and clean up is minimal, especially when you don’t have to worry about your soup boiling over onto your stove top!
This Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup includes some basic pantry staples like canned tomatoes, chickpeas and red kidney beans, along with some chopped onion and spices (hello garlic and smoked paprika!). For extra heat, I add a few Thai peppers, but you can definitely leave them out (or seed them) if you prefer a milder taste.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can easily make this soup on the stove top. You will just need to adjust the cooking time and simmer the ingredients a little longer.
As a bonus, this soup is thick and creamy without adding any kind of milk or cream. The fibre packed beans and chickpeas create all the thick and creamy texture you need! So it’s not only dairy-free, but nut-free too.
If you’re not a fan of soup, no worries. This Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup is so thick and spicy, it will remind you more of a chili than a soup. So grab your crusty bread or nacho chips, and dig in! Or, if you like things on the lighter side, you can add a heaping mound of arugula massaged with evoo and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Either way, this one will keep you warm and fueled until spring! 😉Print
Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup
Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup is a quick and easy Instant Pot recipe, packed with protein and fibre from the chickpeas and red kidney beans. It’s thick and creamy with a little bit of heat!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes (plus time for Instant Pot to build and release pressure)
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 bowls
- Category: Dinner; Lunch
- 2 – 796 ml cans of no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 – 540 ml can of no-salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 540 ml can of no-salt added red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup no-salt added vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
- 2 Thai peppers, with seeds
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Optional toppings:
- extra virgin olive oil
- parmesan cheese
- Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot. Cook on normal pressure for 5 minutes and depressurize with a quick release.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender, or purée in the pot with a handheld blender. Blend until the mixture is thick and creamy with some bits of kidney beans still remaining. If you like it a bit smoother, blend for a little longer.
- Add to bowls and top with some arugula massaged with extra virgin olive oil and parmesan cheese.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy within 3-4 days
- I like to use my handheld blender because it’s less messy but a blender will produce a smoother texture.
- You can also make this soup on the stove top. Just simmer a little longer to ensure the ingredients soften enough to puree and the flavours have an opportunity to blend together.