If you’re looking for an easy way to ease back into your meal prep routine after the holidays, this Winter Citrus Crunch Salad is the perfect solution. It’s fresh and flavourful, with crumbled blue cheese, crunchy veggies and walnuts, and a tangy citrus dressing.
When I say easy, I really mean it. This was a ‘clean out the fridge’ meal that I put together on New Year’s Eve. I wasn’t planning to share it, but it turned out so well, I thought it would be the perfect salad to kick off the new year.
Here’s what you need:
- Store-bought coleslaw mix
- Baby spinach
- Grape tomatoes
- Blue cheese
- Oil, vinegar, orange juice and spices for the dressing
That’s it! If you have 10 minutes, you can whip up this Winter Citrus Crunch Salad for weekday lunches, or as a side salad for dinner. Add some pre-cooked chicken or salmon to make it an all-in-one meal!
Some tips for making Winter Citrus Crunch Salad:
- If you can’t find pre-packaged coleslaw mix, any mix of crunchy veggies will work in this salad. You can even shred your own cabbage and carrot, or use shredded brussel sprouts or a broccoli slaw mix.
- I used baby spinach, but other greens such as kale or arugula would work too. If you go with larger leaves or greens, you may want to chop them so they mix well with the coleslaw veggies.
- The walnuts add the crunch, but if you don’t have or like walnuts, you can add almonds or pecans. You can also substitute sunflower or pumpkin seeds for a nut-free salad.
- For the winter citrus element, I added clementines, but other types of citrus such as blood oranges or tangerines would work nicely too.
- I used no-sugar added orange juice in the salad dressing, but you can also use freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Blue cheese adds a punch and pairs nicely with the salad dressing, but if blue cheese is not for you, try another flavourful cheese like feta or goat cheese.
If you make this Winter Citrus Crunch Salad, I would love to hear about it in the comments below! Or take a pic and share on Instagram by tagging @crumbtopbaking.
And if you’re looking for other flavourful salad recipes, be sure to check out the following on Crumb Top Baking:
Winter Citrus Crunch Salad
If you’re looking for an easy side salad or make ahead lunch, this Winter Citrus Crunch Salad is the perfect solution. It’s fresh and flavourful, with crumbled blue cheese, crunchy veggies and walnuts, and a tangy citrus dressing.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 large salads 1x
- Category: Lunch; Dinner
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons no-sugar added orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 3 cups coleslaw mix (red and green cabbage and carrot)
- 2 cups baby spinach, packed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 clementines, peeled and separated
- Prepare the dressing: In a small jar with a lid, add all the ingredients for the dressing and shake well. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad: In a large bowl, add all the salad ingredients, including the salad dressing. Mix until well combined. Serve and enjoy!
- If you’re making this salad ahead of time, wait to add the walnuts and the dressing until just before serving. This will ensure the salad stays crunchy.
- The salad dressing calls for no-sugar added orange juice, but you can also use freshly squeezed orange juice.
- I used clementines in this salad, but tangerines or blood oranges would also work nicely.
Keywords: salad, winter citrus, crunchy salad, coleslaw