This Creamy Jalapeño Dip is the best dairy-free jalapeño cilantro dip! You only need six ingredients and the spice level is totally customizable. This easy vegan dip also works as a sauce, dressing or spread!
If you’re looking for a spicy jalapeño dip without any mayo, cream cheese, sour cream or cheese, you’ll love this simple jalapeño cilantro dip. It has a cashew base and it’s easy to make, super tasty and made with real ingredients.
Reasons you’ll love this recipe
- You just need 6 ingredients.
- It’s creamy without sour cream, mayonnaise or cream cheese.
- The spice level is adjustable to your taste.
- It’s versatile – use it as a dip, spread, sauce or even dressing.
- And it can pretty much go with anything!
- Raw cashews
- Nut milk
- Fresh lime juice
- Sea salt
How to make this jalapeño cilantro dip
- Soak your cashews in hot water for about half an hour.
- Drain the water. Add the cashews and the other ingredients to a blender or food processor.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, soaking the cashews softens them and helps create a creamy dip texture.
This dip is moderately spicy. I use half a jalapeño without the seeds. If you like it a little less spicy, just use a quarter of a jalapeño. If you like it spicier, use the full jalapeño or add the seeds too. Much of the heat comes from the seeds.
If you don’t have fresh lime juice, you can use the same amount of bottled lime juice. Just make sure it says pure lime juice on the label.
This is a cold jalapeño dip. You can try warming it in the oven or microwave but I haven’t tested it, so I’m not sure how the texture would hold up.
If stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, this dip should last for 4-5 days.
Recipe tips and substitutions
- For any cashew dip, I always suggest a high-powered food processor or blender. If your blender or food processor isn’t powerful, you’ll just have to blend the mixture for a bit longer and it might not get as creamy. I also suggest soaking the cashews over night instead of just for 30 minutes.
- For the creamiest and thickest texture, I like to blend this dip in my smaller smoothie cup that came with my blender. It’s just the right size and blitzes the dip in seconds!
- This recipe makes about a cup, so if you’re serving a crowd or would like to make a batch for the week, I suggest doubling the recipe.
- If you’d like to use the dip as a sauce or salad dressing, just add more nut milk, lime juice or water to thin it out a bit.
- If you’re not a fan of cilantro, try using fresh parsley instead. It will change the taste slightly, but the dip will still have the same great texture and colour.
Ways to serve this jalapeño sauce/dip
Use it as the creamy dressing for coleslaw to top these fish tacos.
Other dairy-free dips to try
- Chipotle Dip
- Roasted Red Pepper Cashew Dip
- White Bean Dip
- Mushroom Spinach Dip
- Creamy Herb Dip
- Edamame Hummus with Jalapeño and Cilantro
If you give this Creamy Jalapeño Dip a try, I’d love to hear how you use it in the comments below!Print
This Creamy Jalapeño Dip is the best dairy-free jalapeño cilantro dip! You only need six ingredients and the spice level is totally customizable. It also works as a sauce, spread or dressing!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened nut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, packed, stems mostly removed
- 1 lime, juiced (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Add the cashews and hot water to a glass dish or jar. Cover and let soak for 25-30 minutes. Once soaked, drain water.
- Add the cashews, nut milk, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño and sea salt to a blender or food processor and blend on high until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. It should last for 4-5 days.
- For cashew dips, I always suggest a high-powered food processor or blender. If your blender or food processor isn’t powerful, you will need to blend the mixture for longer and it might not get as creamy. You’ll also want to soak the cashews overnight instead of just for 30 minutes. For the creamiest and thickest texture, try using the smaller smoothie cup that comes with many blenders.
- This dip is moderately spicy. If you like it a little less spicy, use less jalapeño. If you like it spicier, use the full jalapeño or add the seeds too.
- Be sure to check out the tips and substitutions section above the recipe for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: jalapeño cilantro dip, jalapeño dipping sauce