Say good morning to your new favourite breakfast bar – Strawberry Chia Jam Oat Bars! These jammy filled bars pack a nutritional punch with ingredients like oats, quinoa, coconut, honey, peanut butter, strawberries and chia! Perfect for an on-the-go breakfast, snack or even dessert!
Truth time. The real reason I’m looking forward to spring isn’t because of the warm weather. It’s because I’m obsessed with summer fruits and berries! Seriously. I enjoy the sun and warmth, but it’s not always predictable around here. But a big bowl of fresh, plump berries? That’s predictably delicious, at least during the spring and summer months! 😉
These beauties pictured below were used for recipe testing, snacking and smoothies. Needless to say, they lasted all of two seconds in our house……
There’s a reason I love strawberries so much.
One, hubby will eat them! Yes, strawberries are one of the few fruits he will eat. Of course, this doesn’t include all the fruit I hide in his smoothies. 😉
And two, strawberries are naturally sweet, so you can get your fix of sweets without actually adding refined sugar to your diet. They’re also a good source of vitamin C and contribute to your daily fibre intake. So when combined with the oats, chia and quinoa in these Strawberry Chia Jam Oat Bars, you’ve got yourself a filling and clean eating breakfast bar.
If, for some reason, you’re not interested in the wholesome and clean eating qualities of these bars, then all you need to know is that they are super delicious! I mean, how can you resist that thick layer of strawberry jam sandwiched between a crumbly oat mixture with hints of peanut butter, salt and honey!?
And after 30 minutes of baking, just let these golden brown bars cool on the counter while you enjoy the sweet strawberry smell floating through your kitchen!
Tips for making these Strawberry Chia Jam Oat Bars:
- These bars include steel-cut oats, rolled oats and quinoa flakes, which adds a lot of fibre and creates the crumbly texture. If you don’t have steel-cut oats or quinoa flakes, just substitute more rolled oats. But try to have at least two of the three ingredients. The different textures create a nice consistency.
- I used fresh strawberries to make the chia jam filling, but if strawberries are still not in season where you are, you can use frozen strawberries. You can also try using other berries such as blueberries, raspberries or a mix of berries!
- This recipe calls for salted natural peanut butter and a pinch of salt in the oat mix, just because I like the sweet and salty combo. If you’re trying to cut back on sodium, you can use unsalted peanut butter and/or leave out the pinch of salt.
- Before cutting these bars, I like to pop them in the fridge for a bit to firm them up, so they cut neatly into bars.
- You could also eat these right out the pan….warm….with coconut cream or strawberry nice cream. I’m just sayin’. It’s worth considering for a summer dessert! 😉
If you make these Strawberry Chia Jam Oat Bars, I would love to hear about it in the comments below.Print
Strawberry Chia Jam Oat Bars
Say good morning to Strawberry Chia Jam Oat Bars! These jam filled bars pack a nutritional punch with oats, quinoa, coconut, honey, peanut butter, strawberries and chia, and make a perfect on-the-go breakfast, snack or dessert!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- Category: Breakfast; Snack; Dessert
For the jam filling:
- 3 cups chopped strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 tbsp chia seeds
For the oat mixture:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, flaked or shredded
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter, smooth and salted
- 1/2 cup honey
- Prepare the jam filling: In a small sauce pan, add the strawberries and maple syrup. Bring to a low boil and let simmer until the strawberries have softened. Mash with a fork or potato masher. Remove from heat and stir in the chia seeds. Cover and let sit for 20 minutes to allow the chia seeds to plump.
- Prepare the oat mixture: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9″ square pan. In a large bowl, combine the oats, quinoa flakes, coconut, coconut sugar and salt. Set aside. In a small microwaveable dish, stir together the peanut butter and honey. Microwave for 30 seconds to soften the mixture. Pour over oat mixture and stir until well combined.
- Assemble the bars: Add just over half of the oat mixture to the prepared pan, and press down to form a firm bottom layer. Spread the strawberry jam evenly over the top of this layer. Add the remaining crumble mixture over the jam and press down lightly. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool and cut into bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoy within 3-4 days, or freeze for later enjoyment.
Before cutting these bars, I like to pop them in the fridge for a bit to firm them up, so they cut neatly into bars.
If you’re craving more strawberry recipes, check out the other contributors to the Strawberry Party by visiting their websites below or following #STRAWBERRIESARETHEJAM on Instagram!
Square Meal Round Table’s Roasted Balsamic Strawberry Pavlova
The Cooking of Joy’s Strawberry Matcha Cream Cheese Tart
This Healthy Table’s Strawberry Tahini Shortcake
Flours in Your Hair’s Strawberry Milk Donuts
The Wood and Spoon’s Strawberry Icebox Pie
Smart in the Kitchen’s Rustic Strawberry Galette
The Herb and Spoon’s Strawberry-Jam Filled Brioche Donuts
Better with Biscuit’s Strawberry Cobbler
My Kitchen Love’s Strawberry Rhubarb Tart
Sift and Simmer’s Rose Strawberry Hibiscus Mille Crepe Cake
What Great Grandma Ate’s No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Bars (Paleo, Vegan)
A Modest Feast’s Greek Yogurt With Crispy Quinoa and Roasted Strawberries
Hola Jalapeno’s Strawberry Pink Peppercorn Margarita
Worthy Pause’s Strawberry-Basil Shrub Cocktail
Hot Dishing It Out’s Panna Cotta with Strawberry Jelly
Figs & Flour’s Shrimp Tacos with Strawberry Apricot Salsa
Pie Girl Bakes’ Strawberry Ginger Pie
The Gourmandise School’s Strawberry Pistachio Salad
Tiny Kitchen Caper’s Strawberries and Cream Pound Cake
Cook Til Delicious’ Mini Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Ganache
Something New For Dinner’s Watermelon, Tomato and Strawberry Salad with Burrata
A Spicy Perspective’s Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake
Easy and Delish’s Strawberry Brigadeiros
Plays Well with Butter’s Strawberry Salad with Goat Cheese, Grilled Chicken, & Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
Katherine in Brooklyn’s Roasted Strawberry Balsamic Ice Cream
Sugar Salt Magic’s Strawberry Mousse Tart
The Healthy Sins’ Coconut Flour Crepes Topped with Fresh Strawberries and Coconut Yogurt
Lemon Thyme and Ginger’s Strawberry Basil No Churn Ice Cream
Jessie Sheehan Bakes’ Strawberry Basil Turnovers
Bavette Meat & Provisions’ Pickled Green Strawberries
Rezel Kealoha’s Apple Cider Rose Poached Strawberries with Thyme Flowers
Made from Scratch’s Roasted Strawberry and Basil Ice Cream
Eat Cho Food’s Strawberry Basil Glazed Donuts
What’s Karen Cooking’s Strawberry Eton Mess
More Icing Than Cake’s Strawberry, Balsamic & Black Pepper Babka
Well Seasoned Studio’s Classic Vanilla Layer Cake with Mascarpone Buttercream and Fresh Strawberries
Farm & Coast Cookery’s Strawberry & Thyme Shortcake
Marianne Cooks’ Strawberry Madeleines
Clean Plate Club’s Mini Strawberry Bundt Cakes with Lemon Glaze
My Berkeley Kitchen’s Strawberry Kale Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
The Cinnaman’s Rose Hibiscus Strawberry Icebox Pie
Prickly Fresh’s Strawberry Burrata Kale Salad with Pistachio & Lemon Vinaigrette
Maren Ellingboe’s Angel Food Cake with Whipped Cream & Strawberries
Baking the Goods’ Mini Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes
Fufu’s Kitchen’s Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches
What Annie’s Eating’s Vegan Strawberry + Basil Ice Cream
Katie Bird Bakes’ Strawberry Crumble Bars
Cosette’s Kitchen’s Strawberry Shortcake
Blossom to Stem’s Strawberry Pavlova with Mezcal and Lime
Babby Girl Yum’s Strawberry Spinach Almond Salad
It’s a Veg World After All’s Butter Lettuce Strawberry Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
Le Petite Eats’ Strawberry Orange Blossom Tartlets
Cooking with Cocktail Ring’s Basil Balsamic Strawberry Shortcake
The College Housewife: Mixed Berry Whiskey Crisp
Frosting and Fettuccine’s Strawberry Basil Layer Cake with Strawberry Simple Syrup
Zestful Kitchen’s Strawberry & Pine Nut Brittle Salad