Red Pepper Arugula Hummus. AKA, healthy, tasty goodness that has been the focal point of almost every weekend this summer! This is clean eating perfection swirled around a bowl and surrounded by fresh veggies that are ready for dippin’! If I may be so bold to say – you need this hummus in your life! It only takes 5 minutes to whip up, and with lots of fibre and protein from the chick peas, arugula and spinach, it makes a solid appetizer dip or sandwich spread! (Dare I say meal 😉 ? )
So, I don’t think I’ve shared this much on the blog yet, but my husband is not quite into all the clean eating that I’m into. It’s not like he eats a lot of processed food, but he is definitely not that adventurous in the fruit and vegetable department. So I am always trying to experiment with clean eating recipes that he might like, or be willing to try. And even some he might not be willing to try. It’s amazing what types of clean eating ingredients you can secretly blend into a smoothie 😉 .
For this Red Pepper Arugula Hummus recipe there is no need to hide any of the ingredients. My husband loves hummus and arugula, so I knew pairing them together would be husband approved. (I’m sure the pretzels for dipping didn’t hurt the approval rating either!)
This recipe was actually inspired by my new favourite cookbook, Love Real Food, by Cookie and Kate. They have a recipe for Green Goddess Hummus, which is absolutely delicious and gave me the idea to try a green hummus recipe loaded with arugula, spinach and feta cheese.
Of course, this Red Pepper Arugula Hummus includes the basics – chick peas and tahini. I also added some sunflower butter that has a slightly mild and sweet taste which balances out the bitter taste of the tahini.
And if you like your hummus with a kick, this recipe has you covered with the red pepper infused olive oil. It’s just a tablespoon, so it’s not too hot or spicy. But if you enjoy some extra heat, feel free to add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes to the hummus or drizzle with additional olive oil before serving.
This Red Pepper Arugula Hummus quickly comes together in your food processor. Just throw the ingredients in and process on high for 5 minutes! Stir some feta cheese in and your done 🙂 . Serve this with some fresh veggies and pretzels and you have yourself a perfect appetizer for lazy summer evenings or backyard gatherings.Print
5-Minute Red Pepper Arugula Hummus
This 5-Minute Red Pepper Arugula Hummus is loaded with fibre, protein and veggies! We are talking 2 cups of arugula ad 1 cup of spinach blended with chick peas into this creamy bowl of deliciousness. Add some red pepper infused EVOO, tahini, sunflower butter, lemon juice, feta, salt and pepper, and lots of garlic, and you’ve made yourself (and your guests!) an amazing appetizer dip 😉 .
- Prep Time: 5
- Total Time: 5
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- 1 540 ml can no-salt added chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/3 cup organic sesame tahini
- 1/8 cup sunflower seed butter
- 1 tbsp red pepper infused extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- Add all the ingredients, except the feta cheese, to a large food processor and process on high until the mixture is creamy. Stop periodically to scrape down the sides.
- Once the mixture is creamy and well-blended, scoop out into a bowl and stir in the feta.
- Serve with veggies and pretzels or use as a spread on sandwiches or wraps.
- Store any leftovers covered in the fridge and enjoy within 3-4 days.
- This recipe was inspired by the Green Goddess Hummus recipe from Cookie and Kate.