Snacking my way into the weekend with these Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites. Nut-free, with sunflower seeds and quinoa flakes, these bites are super chocolatey and incredibly easy to make!
We are finally out of January and heading towards spring! Okay, it’s only early February, so I know I’m getting ahead of myself. But we can start saying that spring is next month and that’s definitely something to smile about! 😉
And perhaps what’s more exciting is that February brings with it lots of food-related celebrations like the Super Bowl and Valentine’s Day. The month of savoury snacks and sweet treats is here!
So what are your plans for this Sunday’s Super Bowl? Are you a die-hard football fan, or are you in it for the snacks, commercials and half-time show? Or do you even know the Super Bowl is this Sunday? 😉
To be honest, if it wasn’t for my husband, I probably wouldn’t know it was this Sunday. I “watch” the Super Bowl every year with him, but I’m in it for the food and the show. Sadly, I continue to know next to nothing about football!
But snacks? I know my snacks! For certain, I’ll be whipping up this hummus for Sunday’s festivities, and maybe even this vegetarian chili (which will double as my lunch for the week!). And for a healthier treat, I’ll have a batch of these Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites ready to go.
If you’ve been following along for a while, you may have noticed I have a slight obsession with energy bites. While I have a few different recipes on the blog, chocolate hazelnut bites are probably my favourite, followed closely by these baked pineapple coconut bites.
But all of my energy bites contain nuts and nut butters, and with so many people experiencing nut allergies these days, I felt inspired to create a recipe that was nut-free. And that’s how these Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites came to be!
All you need is a food processor and some key ingredients like medjool dates, dried tart cherries, sunflower seeds, sunflower seed butter, quinoa flakes and cocoa.
These bites aren’t overly sweet, but the hint of cocoa and the tart cherries totally remind me of a black forest cake. And they include lots of clean eating ingredients, so they make a great mid-day snack or post-supper treat.
If you make these Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites be sure to leave a comment below and let me know what you think! Or take a photo and post it to Instagram. Just be sure to tag @crumbtopbaking so I see it!Print
Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites
Made with sunflower seeds, quinoa flakes, seed butter, dates and cocoa, these Dark Chocolate Cherry Energy Bites are nut-free, chocolatey and super easy to make!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes (plus time for dates to soak)
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12-14 1x
- Category: Snack; Dessert
- 1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries (unsweetened or sweetened)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter (or pumpkin seed butter)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips
- In a small dish, combine the chopped dates with the hot water and vanilla and let soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the date mixture (including the liquid) to a food processor, along with all the other ingredients, except the chocolate chips. Process on high until well combined but with some chunks of seeds and cherries remaining. This should only take a minute or two. You may need to stop the processor a few times to scrape down the sides or break apart the mixture. Add the chocolate chips and pulse for a few seconds. Roll the mixture into 12-14 balls. You can eat them right away or place them in the fridge to firm up a bit!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze for later enjoyment.
- The dates soften up in the hot water, which makes them easier to process in the food processor.
- The energy bite mixture will be sticky, so you may need to rinse your hands with warm water a few times while rolling them.
Keywords: chocolate, cherry, energy bites, healthy snack