Air Fryer Salmon Patties are made with fresh salmon, almond flour and a few basic seasonings. They’re gluten-free and dairy-free, and require no mayo, breadcrumbs or crackers. Serve them with a side salad or on a burger bun for a filling lunch or dinner!
If you love these salmon cakes, you’ll also want to try these air fryer crab cakes!
Salmon is on the menu quite a bit for us. It’s one of those proteins that we agree on in our house, so I tend to cook it a lot.
Now, these salmon patties with fresh salmon have been on repeat in our house. They come together quickly, require less than 10 ingredients and take just 10 minutes to cook in the air fryer. The result is a soft and tender salmon patty that’s golden brown and crispy.
Ingredients for air fryer salmon patties
*Below is an overview of the ingredients for this recipe. See the recipe card at the end of this post for the exact quantities used.
Fresh salmon – A lot of recipes for salmon patties or salmon cakes use canned salmon. While I’ve made those before, and they’re quite tasty, I prefer the taste and texture of fresh salmon patties. Fresh salmon is more expensive than canned, but you don’t need a lot for this recipe. Just one small fillet, combined with the other ingredients, makes four large patties.
Almond flour – Salmon cakes usually include breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs in combination with eggs to help hold them together. I wanted to keep these patties gluten-free and grain-free, so I opted for finely ground almond flour. It also adds some extra protein and helps make these patties filling.
Onion – This recipe includes half a chopped onion. It might seem like a lot for four patties, but it adds a lot of flavour and even some moisture to the patties.
Chives – I love the flavour and pop of colour that fresh chives add to these air fryer salmon cakes. If you can’t find fresh chives, I would caution against using dried chives as a substitute as they don’t have as much flavour. Instead, opt for another type of fresh herb such as dill or add some green onion.
How to make salmon patties in the air fryer
Step 1: Remove the skin from your salmon fillet, if it isn’t already removed, and cut the salmon into a few pieces. Add all of the ingredients to a food processor.
Step 2: Process on high until everything is combined but some small pieces of salmon, onion and chives remain.
Step 3: Shape the mixture into 4 patties about 3-inches in diameter and refrigerate for half an hour.
Step 4: Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange the patties in a single layer in the bottom of the basket and spray the tops of the patties with cooking spray. Air fry on 400F for 10-12 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
The texture of the fresh salmon, along with the egg and almond flour, helps keep these patties together. Also, refrigerating the patties before air frying them helps firm them up.
While I think these patties are best enjoyed right out of the air fryer when they’re hot and crispy, if you have leftovers, they should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoyed within 3-4 days. To reheat them, just microwave for 45-60 seconds or until just heated through. Be careful not to overheat as they will dry out.
Yes. Just wrap the raw patties individually in plastic wrap, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the freezer. Once frozen, store them in a freezer safe bag or container for 2-3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator before air frying.
What to serve with air fried salmon patties
And, if you like a good condiment topping, try this cashew mayo, creamy jalapeño dip or chipotle dip. They’re great options if you’re serving these patties as salmon burgers on buns or on lettuce leaves.
Recipe tips and substitutions
- I used garlic powder in this recipe, but you can use fresh garlic if you prefer. Just replace the half a teaspoon of garlic powder with 2 cloves of garlic.
- Make sure you grease the bottom of the air fryer basket with cooking spray so the salmon patties don’t stick. I also like to spray the tops of the patties with cooking spray to help them get that golden brown colour.
- Don’t skip the step of refrigerating the salmon cakes. This helps firm them up and allows the flavours to blend.
- Be sure not to air fry the salmon patties too far passed the recommended time as they will dry out.
More air fryer recipes
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash Home Fries
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Air Fryer Chickpeas
- Air Fryer Chicken Bites
- Air Fryer Pork Schnitzel
- Air Fryer Carrots (three ways)
- Air Fryer Chicken Patties
More air fryer seafood recipes
If you make these air fryer salmon patties, please leave a comment and rating below to let me know how it turned out!Print
Air Fryer Salmon Patties are made with fresh salmon, almond flour and a few basic seasonings. They’re gluten-free and dairy-free, and require no bread crumbs or crackers. Serve them up with a side salad or on a burger bun for a filling lunch or dinner!
- 1 small salmon fillet, skin removed (about 5 ounces)
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut the salmon fillet into a few pieces and add all of the ingredients to a food processor.
- Process on high until everything is combined but a few small pieces of salmon, onion and chives remain throughout.
- Shape into 4 patties about 3-inches in diameter and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange the patties in a single layer in the bottom of the basket and spray the tops of the patties with cooking spray.
- Air fry on 400F for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked through and crispy on the outside.
- If you can’t find fresh chives, I don’t recommend using dried chives as they don’t have as much flavour. Instead, try using green onion or even fresh dill.
- Don’t skip the step of refrigerating the salmon patties. This helps firm them up and allows the flavours to blend.
- These patties are best served immediately when they’re hot and crispy. Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoyed within 3-4 days. They just won’t be crispy when reheated.
- Be sure to check out the FAQ as well as the tips and substitutions section above the recipe for more detailed advice and suggestions for making this recipe.
Keywords: air fryer salmon cakes, fresh salmon patties, salmon patties with almond flour